Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Service Adjustments Scheduled for July 4
NJ TRANSIT will adjust service on the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Transit (HBLR) on Monday, July 4, as Jersey City hosts the Jersey City Freedom Fireworks Festival at Exchange Place.
The Independence Day event will feature live music and fireworks in the evening.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Beverages of any kind, in any type of container, open or closed, will not be permitted on trains/buses/light rail. This policy will be strictly enforced.
In the interest of pedestrian safety around Exchange Place due to expected crowds, beginning at 10 a.m. on July 4, HBLR will adjust routes that normally pass through and serve Exchange Place by ending one stop before Exchange Place Station .
At the request of public safety officials, starting at 10 a.m., light rail vehicles will terminate at Essex Street and Harborside stations.
All northbound services from 8th Street or West Side Avenue will terminate at Essex Street and operate every 20 minutes from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and every 15 minutes from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Southbound service from Tonnelle Avenue and Hoboken will terminate at Harborside and will operate every 20 minutes from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and every 15 minutes from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.
The shuttle service between Tonnelle Avenue and Hoboken will operate from 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
DURING THIS PERIOD, ALL CUSTOMERS TRAVELING FROM HOBOKEN AND NEWPORT TO EXCHANGE PLACE ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO USE PATH.
Normal HBLR service will resume when the New Jersey Transit Police Department determines it is safe to reopen Exchange Place to light rail traffic.
Guests who are not planning to attend the festival are strongly advised not to travel to Exchange Place as they will experience significant vehicular and pedestrian congestion.
Customers are strongly encouraged to purchase return tickets from the ticket vending machines prior to the fireworks.
- Purchase return tickets in advance to avoid long lines
- Use the NJ TRANSIT mobile app for a seamless travel experience
- Plan accordingly. Customers should familiarize themselves with NJ TRANSIT schedules and fares before commencing their journey. For timetables and fares, visit www.njtransit.com
- Customers should download the latest version of the NJ TRANSIT mobile app and customize service alert notifications available via push notifications
- Stay connected to NJ TRANSIT social media during your ride. Look for train, bus or light rail specific Twitter accounts for the best information
Photo by NJ TRANSIT on Facebook