Vacancy: Engineering Technician (steam locomotive and coach fitter)
The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust (A1SLT) is Re-Recruiting and Looking for an Engineer
Technician (Assembler of steam locomotives and coaches).
A1SLT are the UK’s premier organization for building brand new full-size steam locomotives and are now looking for another Engineering Technician to join the team.
They need an additional Locomotive Erector to join their engineering team in the Engineering Technician role.
This critical role will assist in the delivery of operational and planned maintenance and repair work on the new Peppercorn Class A1 Locomotive No. 60163 Tornado and Mk I supports BCK 21249 and BSK 35457 coaches in service on the main line and the railway tracks preserved.
Additionally, this role will be required to undertake construction work and subsequent planned maintenance of the second locomotive, Gresley Class P2 No. 2007 Prince of Wales being built by the Trust.
The successful candidate will have a good knowledge of steam locomotive maintenance and
repair. Experience operating a mainline steam locomotive would be an advantage.
The role offers engineering activity within the framework of planned and scheduled maintenance as well as basic administration and computer skills.
Although the role is part of the team based in Darlington, where the company has dedicated workshops and is developing purpose-built maintenance and construction facilities at a new site, his primary focus is on maintenance and l operating Tornado, wherever it may come from mainline depots to heritage sites across the UK.
There will be extensive travel and time away from home, including weekend work.
- Basic knowledge of the railway environment and the need for safety.
- Good mechanical and electrical skills, with experience in routine maintenance of boilers and fitting out of steam locomotives.
- Experience working in a security critical environment.
- A team player, conscientious, reliable, flexible and hardworking.
- Good communication skills, both in person and in writing.
- Good basic computer skills; familiar with the MS Office toolset.
- Demonstration of competence (or relevant experience) or equivalent to NVQ in Level 2 Railway, Traction and Rolling Stock Engineering. Formal qualifications at this level are desirable but not essential.
- Current footpeg skill as a firefighter, cleaner, or footpeg trainee.
- Current Sentinel or TOC PTS cardholder. Must meet minimum medical NR standards and be able to achieve full PTS during probation period.
- Willing and able to drive.
- Salary subject to negotiation based on skills and experience.
Is this for you?
For more information, a copy of the job description or to apply, please contact [email protected].
Applications should include a cover letter explaining why you are interested in the position and how your experience and skills match the requirements of this position. Applicants should also include an up-to-date CV.
Candidates called for an interview will be asked for two references in support of their application.
Applications must be received no later than August 12, 2021 and selected candidates will be called for an interview the first or second week of September 2021.
From the history of steam to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription deals.
Get the Railway Hub Weekly Digest
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive weekly railway news directly in your inbox…
You can unsubscribe anytime.