Washington state owes $27,000 light rail attack and murder suspect, with more added daily – KIRO 7 News Seattle

In April, the man charged with the random attack on a woman at a Seattle streetcar station and the murder of a Capitol Hill man received $250 a day after the state was not able to provide court-ordered mental health treatment.

Alexander Jay was ordered to receive “competence restoration” services on April 15 after being found incompetent to stand trial.

According to court documents, Jay was ordered to receive treatment and resources from the Washington State Department of Health and Human Services.

Jay was first considered for treatment. However, the department determined that his admission to a facility was not appropriate due to the violent nature of the case. As a result, the defense argued to dismiss the case, saying Jay’s due process rights were violated because of the state’s delay in providing him with mental health resources. King County argued that the dismissal was not appropriate in this case.

According to court documents, the court found that Jay’s due process rights had been violated, but his motion to dismiss the case was denied.

The state’s Department of Health and Human Services was later ordered to pay Jay $250 a day until he was admitted for restorative treatment, with penalties beginning May 9.

In June, the department referred Jay to Western State Hospital in Lakewood, initially setting an estimated admission date of August 15-19, 2022. That admission did not occur, and as of August 25, Jay remains in detention in King’s County. jail, bringing Washington State’s total payments to $27,000.

According to Tyler Hemstreet of the Washington State Department of Health and Social Services, it is now estimated that Jay will be admitted to the western state “on or before” October 2. On that date, Jay will owe $36,500.

Jay, 40, was charged with second-degree assault in the unprovoked and random attack on a woman at a Seattle train station.

According to court documents, on March 2, a woman got off the light rail at the Chinatown-International District station in Seattle and climbed the stairs to exit the light rail tunnel.

At the top of the concrete stairs, Jay allegedly grabbed the woman and threw her to the ground.

As she fell, she was followed down the stairs, where he again allegedly grabbed her and threw her down the stairs.

The woman grabbed hold of the stair railing to avoid being thrown down the stairs again.

As Jay walked up the stairs and left the station, a security guard came to the woman’s aid.

The attack was filmed by the station’s security cameras.

The woman suffered three broken ribs and a broken collarbone in the attack.

Jay was also charged in the March 3 fatal attack on a man in the 1800 block of East Olive Way.

According to the charging documents, Jay attacked the man from behind by bludgeoning him to death with a heavy piece of rebar.

Jose P. Rogers